The institution now known as The Language Training and Testing Center (LTTC) was established in 1951 to provide intensive training in English for government-sponsored personnel who were preparing to go to the United States under technical assistance programs in place at that time.
In 1965, the LTTC began to offer courses in Japanese, French, German, and Spanish, and to open classes to other government-sponsored personnel; personnel sponsored by private organizations; and to the general public. The LTTC also began to provide foreign language proficiency tests.
In 1986, the LTTC was registered with the Ministry of Education as a cultural and educational foundation under a remit to meet the needs of social and economic development with work on research, development, and administration in the language training and testing fields.
The LTTC is under the supervision of a Board of Directors with the President of National Taiwan University presiding as Chair, with other members including representatives from National Taiwan University, the Council for Economic Planning and Development, the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Economics Affairs, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the Foundation for Scholarly Exchange.
To provide the public with the most up-to-date resources for language teaching and assessment, the LTTC endeavors to establish international partnerships with other educational institutions in areas such as the development of EAP training programs, recognition of LTTC-developed language tests, or jointly conducting research projects.
The LTTC enhances the quality of its research and administration in language testing by participating in testing-related organizations. It has become an institutional affiliate of Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE) under the recommendation of Cambridge English Language Assessment, and is also an institutional member of International Language Testing Association (ILTA).